5 Calls to Action to Protect Kids Voice Data Privacy
March 30, 2020
These are incredibly exciting times for the voice tech industry. However, against the backdrop of consumer sentiment, strict regulation and increased enforcement activities, important legal and technology-driven action is needed to make sure that voice technology does not threaten kids’ rights.
Here are 5 calls to action for our voice industry:
- Deliver transparency on how kids’ voice data is used once it is stored.
- Commit to treat kids’ data differently to adults’ data, even with consent.
- Commit to identify voice data captured without consent, for example from a playmate or visitor to the home whose parent has not given consent, and delete it.
- Develop kid/adult voice classifiers to protect kids from adult-centered digital environments, and to recognize when parental consent is needed before storing voice data.
- Develop voice solutions where processing of voice data is embedded on-device.
The above calls to action are excerpted from the Voicebot guest post “Lets talk voice tech, data privacy, and kids” written by our COO, Dr. Martyn Farrows.