These are incredibly exciting times for the voice tech industry. However, against the backdrop of consumer sentiment, strict regulation and increased enforcement activities, important legal and technology-driven action is needed to make sure that voice technology does not threaten kids’ rights.
Here are 5 calls to action for our voice industry:
- Deliver transparency on how kids’ voice data is used once it is stored.
- Commit to treat kids’ data differently to adults’ data, even with consent.
- Commit to identify voice data captured without consent, for example from a playmate or visitor to the home whose parent has not given consent, and delete it.
- Develop kid/adult voice classifiers to protect kids from adult-centered digital environments, and to recognize when parental consent is needed before storing voice data.
- Develop voice solutions where processing of voice data is embedded on-device.
The above calls to action are excerpted from the Voicebot guest post “Lets talk voice tech, data privacy, and kids” written by our COO, Dr. Martyn Farrows.